Review: Romantically Apocalyptic

Review: Romantically Apocalyptic

How dare you disobey the captain

REVIEW: Romantically Apocalyptic, by alexiuss on deviantART

I stumbled across Romantically Apocalyptic on deviantArt a year ago. It’s a relatively popular comic on the site, and is frequently featured on the front page. I resisted reading it for a while—I’d grown a little tired of post-apocalyptic stories at the time—but after a while my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to check it out. I was expecting a sad, morbid tale of the last survivors on a wrecked planet. I was…half right. Maybe.

Aesthetically, Romantically Apocalyptic is beautiful. The backgrounds are bleak and comprised mostly of dilapidated buildings, vast wastelands, and skeletal and shrunken bodies leaning out of cars or sipping coffee at shops, but the colors are vibrant and the visuals are breathtaking. The producer, Vitaly S Alexius, combines a whole slew of tools to create his haunting world, including “Photoshop, live actors, dead actors, sexy assistants, greenscreen, a camera, and a Wacom tablet.” The attention to detail is really riveting, and Alexius and co. combine the different media seamlessly.

Yes, they did put that much work into making a pun.

Considering the amount of work put into the artwork, Romantically Apocalyptic can be pretty silly. The main character, “Ze Captain,” gallivants through a wrecked city, tormenting his/her(?) poor and at times significantly more sane sidekicks, hanging out with corpses, and defeating enemies with the power of whatever hot beverage he/she happens to be drinking at the time. Amidst the silliness, there is an occasional sense of sobriety, and though the comic starts off feeling like a gag strip, a really interesting story eventually emerges.

Regardless of what genre you’re into, you should definitely check out  Romantically Apocalyptic, even if only for the lolz.

Shirlene Obuobi

Posted in Comic Reviews and tagged , , .